Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Auto-Tune and Other Fails in Music.

Dear Andy Hildebrand,

You have killed the music industry. It used to take talent and drive to make it in the music industry. Now all you really need is some good looks and Auto-Tune.

The purpose of Auto-Tune, as defined by Wikipedia is:

"Auto-Tune uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances. It is used to disguise off-key inaccuracies and mistakes, and has allowed singers to perform perfectly tuned vocal tracks without the need of singing in tune."

I'm all for using it in a few places here and there if you can't get the pitch perfect, but it's being overused so some scantily clad girls and so-called sexy men with a terrible case of Tone-Deafititis can make an album and get famous.


Speaking of tone deaf, is there anyone out there that actually likes Akon? I sure hope not. When I first heard his single "Locked Up" I thought The Chipmunks were making a come-back album.

Now, I'm obviously not any kind of music expert (or an expert on anything, really), but the shit that's out today makes me lose all faith in today's youth.

AOL Radio Blog has 'Whatcha Say' by Jason Derulo as number ten in their top 10 of 2009. A song that hardly had anything changed from the one it was sampled from. I feel terrible for Imogen Heap. They're so great, they don't deserve this slaughter of their music.

I don't understand all of these songs with intentionally terrible English. "In The Ayer", "Thnks fr the Mmrs", "Buy U a Drank", etc. I wish these people would learn some basic English before even thinking of naming anything. Now, I don't mind some mistakes. I'm not the best with grammar, myself, but when you're putting yourself out in the public eye and using ridiculous words like "ayer" and removing every vowel, you should be slapped. All the kids growing up watching these assholes are going to end up needing speech therapy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Don't become a singer if you can't sing, and don't shit all over the English language.

5 comments:

  1. As far as learning basic English, I guess you didn't hear about the protesters outside the National Spelling Bee advocating dumbing down how we spell words. One sign read "Enuf is Enuf. Enough is too much."

    On a nerdier note while reading I spotted "In the Ayer" and my brain immediately thought it might have something to do with jaeger Ayers from the comic Finder. xp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, are people really too lazy to spell 6 letter words?

    Also, when I first saw the video for the song "In the Ayer" I thought of Sir Alfred Jules Ayer the British philosopher XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person holding the sign was a former teacher. Thank god it's indeed former. She claims the English language is needlessly complicated. So I guess she wants us to go from phonics to Ebonics to Moronics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... What's the world coming to? If I were a teacher and someone handed in an essay in text speak, I'd not only give them an F, but kick them out of the class, too!

    There's also a lot of people on the internet that use the excuse "Well it's not like I'm writing an essay! I don't need to spell everything out!"

    English is becoming a "use only when needed" kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, when I see someone using chatspeak on a forum I automatically start subtracting IQ points. I don't care if they have a PHD in physics from Harvard, if they want me to take them seriously they need to attempt proper spelling and grammar.

    ReplyDelete