Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lazy Girl

I have absolutely no motivation.

I get up, have a smoke and take care of my daughter. While she's asleep, I'm either on the computer, watching TV or playing on my iPod Touch.

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to be a fashion designer. I have mounds of fabric, endless strands of thread, 2 sewing machines and a serger, and you know how many articles of clothing I've finished? None. I've made a few wrist bands, a purse out of old t-shirts, half a vest, half a shirt, and I've altered a shirt. That's it.

How does everyone else have so much energy? Inspiration? Time?

A few years ago, at Christmas, I got a digital sewing machine. I squealed so loud that the windows almost shattered. A few days later, the excitement was gone. I think it's all because of how hard it is to get into the fashion industry. I'm letting all my doubts keep me from doing what I love. When I think about designing, right away a doubt pops into my head.

"Why do it? You'll never have your own line. You probably won't even have your own store... Why bother?"

I need that kick in the pants to get me going. I have so many ideas floating around in my head, I can't stand it. Every day I think about patterns, fabric, stitching, hemming. So I've decided...

I'm going to spend at least 5 hours a week sewing.

I'm going to make that Gir hoodie. I'm going to make that purple dress. And I'm going to make that damn sailor bathing suit! Fuck my doubts. Who cares if I don't end up doing fashion design as a career? That doesn't mean I can't do it for fun. I tend to have ideas for myself anyway, so doing it as a hobby is perfect.

I'm done doubting. I'm done putting myself down. Now where are my scissors...

11 comments:

  1. Attagirl. And I DEMAND that you take pictures of everything you make and put them up here. OR if you want to be ambitious start your own website and bingo, you're got your own store and clothing line. My buddy has his own line of T-shirts and he's making alright money at it and he's mostly an online presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have my own store online. But it all costs money (except eBay, but I don't have a credit card) and I'm broke.

    I have a deviantart page where I could put them, and a cutout+keep page... So photos can go there, and on here. :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is pretty hard to do anything online without a credit card. You could always set up a PayPal account and maybe get some commissions with this blog and other social media. Between Blogger, twitter, Facebook, MySpace and Google Buzz you can have a considerable web presence for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have a PayPal... But I refuse to get Facebook again. Bad things happen when I go on Facebook, hahaha.

    Good ideas, you have. (... I mystically turn into Yoda sometime.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't blame you for not going on Facebook. I've bailed off of there as well. MySpace would be better for what you're wanting to do anyways. They're more creator friendly nowadays.

    And the next time you mystically transform into Yoda, make sure to get it on video. It would be a YouTube sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, well I am pretty short so I could probably pass as him.

    Everyone laughs when they hear I'm still on MySpace. "FB is teh cool dntcha know?!!?1?" Haha, oh but MySpace has music, and doesn't have Farmville, AND you can customize your profile to make it look all snazzy. +3 for MySpace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MySpace is a lot better for artists and musicians than Facebook could ever hope to be. I'm probably going to start a MySpace account soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't use mine as much anymore, but I still check it here and there. I go on Twitter a lot... Every day... *embarrassed face* I used to say I'd never get one, then I got one just for the people on G4TV... Now I'm a Twitter addict, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got one because i was doing a mystery story in real time on there. I had it set up like it was the twitter account of the main character in the story. I bailed once the project finished, but recently went back on there due to there being goofy internet shenanigans that I wanted to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, there are some hilarious things on there sometimes.

    So, I made a dress. Haven't sewn in so long, so it came out terrible. Just gonna use it as a bathing suit cover up, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you still have your Twitter, you should definitely follow :)

    @HeatherMarMal

    ReplyDelete